Sunday, November 10, 2013

#153 Sashimi Lemon Dipping Sauce


It takes a lot of patience to shape thin slices of raw fish into salmon roses. It was very challenging, without proper research and especially when my stomach was growling! Very little patience was left, since there's the picture taking that needs to be done. :)
The end result, is a nice image, looks nothing like a rose :/, but I did a very good job on the leaves and stem I believe, I used the wasabi paste extracted from a tube, so that part was very easy. For this recipe, I just wanted to share a really tasty dip for your sashimi, or thinly sliced raw seafood. It is very simple to make, here's how:
SASHIMI LEMON DIPPING SAUCE

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
1 green onion, (green part only), chopped finely

Directions:
  1. Heat vinegar, sugar and sauce in a small saucepan, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
  2. Remove from heat, add rind; let stand for 10 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle sauce with onion.
Recipe adapted from Tasting Japan, Australian women's weekly magazine


This weekend, I learned a few do's and don'ts in Japanese etiquette, but here is what I learned about serving Sashimi:
When serving sashimi with soy sauce and wasabi on the side, it is traditional to serve the wasabi and soysauce separately, that is, not to mix the ingredients. This is because the wasabi does nothing to enhance either the flavor or sensation of the sauce. And, you don't know how much wasabi your guest wants in her/his soysauce! Leave the mixing to them.
Another important thing that I learned is, you can use your own chopsticks to take food from the communal dish if no serving implements are provided, but turn them around and use the clean handle end. Turn right way around again to use them for picking up your own food. :) Good to know!


Blogging is great. If I didn't have this blog, I don't know if I would even try making my own salmon roses! :) When I ate sashimi with friends  at restaurants, which I have- so many times, nothing compelled  me to learn more about it. I simply know it was Japanese food, raw, tastes good and then enjoyed it while catching up. None of our conservations revolved around food, it was always about our busy lives and all the crazy stuffs around us. Starting a food/cooking blog definitely opened my eyes,  I learn so much, I see food and home cooking in a different light now; cooking to me  is no longer a task, but a really fun, intimate activity at home, it helped me personally develop things within me that I didn't know I had. I am  also falling in love with food photography.  I think it is time to retire my point and shoot camera. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Vannia! How are you? And happy new year 2014! You my friend are a true artist. Your salmon sashimi flowers are beautiful. I love what you did. I would almost hesitate to eat them for not wanting to disturb their beauty. Almost. And thanks for the tip on the communal eating. Please keep writing. Your gift is too precious not to share.

    ReplyDelete