Thursday, April 25, 2013

#75 Maja Blanca with Pineapple

 
It took me many many years to finally make my own. Some call this dessert: Coconut Pudding. It's a very firm pudding. :) I like calling it just Maja Blanca. A favorite at our home in the Philippines, yet I never got the chance to make it myself. We always ordered it from Manang Inday. I remember hers was delicious and had more variety of fruit slices and raisins. I made mine with just pineapple and sweet corn kernels. I also used a low fat, light canned coconut milk, because I did not have fresh coconut milk. It was soo easy to make. A few minutes of stirring and before I knew it I was done. Soon I was enjoying a good Maja Blanca with my little one, and then started missing everybody at home. When I go back, I'll make trays and trays and give every one Pineapple Maja Blancas. That's a promise. :)


Yield: serves 6 or more

MAJA BLANCA

Ingredients:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup constarch
1 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup water
 1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple

Directions:
  1. Butter an 8-inch baking dish or pan and set aside. Mix 1/2 cup of water with the constarch in a bowl, and stir until smooth.
  2. Combine the coconut milk, 3/4 cup of water and sugar in a sauce pan over low heat, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture back to a boil, add the corn kernels, crushed pineapple and then stir in the cornstarch mixture, stirring quickly to avoid lumps as it becomes very thick. Bring the mixture back to to a boil, and simmer until fully thickened and smooth, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Pour the maja blanca into the prepared dish, and set aside to cool until firm, about 2 hours.
  3. Serve chilled.

Original recipe adapted from Your Cooking Papa, contributor at allrecipes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment