Thursday, March 21, 2013

#47 Japanese Omelette Roll




Japanese cuisine is always  artfully presented, simply amazing and tastes so delicious. I discovered this method of cooking eggs from a magazine, and I had to do it. The biggest problem that I encountered while creating this dish is the difficulty of rolling it, while keeping all the eggs in tact. I do not own a wide pan, a wide square frying pan is ideal to use. I made the eggs on a hot griddle, had to watch it closely, the eggs needed to be cooked thoroughly to keep it intact, yet moist enough so that it rolls easily and retain it's rolled form. Honestly, it was one of the hardest breakfast dish that I have ever made! After so many tries, I was able to roll and slice it into these beautiful bite-sized  pieces. This dish is typically served with grated fresh radish and soy sauce. Loved it, and will I do it again? Sure! It's a refreshing recipe and a great way to make eggs, sans the fattening addition to breakfast dishes that many of us are accustomed to every morning. Just a load of  protein and healthy greens.





JAPENESE OMELETTE ROLL



Ingredients:

8 pieces of large eggs
vegetable oil
fresh spinach


Directions:
  1. Using a wire whisk, mix the egg whites and yolk thoroughly.
  2. In a pot, boil water, then once it boils, add the spinach and let it cook for a minute. Remove from boiling water and wash it with cold water.
  3.  Using a bamboo mat, remove excess water from the cooked spinach. Set aside.
  4. On a hot square frying pan, add vegetable oil.
  5. Add eggs, carefully watching it, don't burn it. Once it is cooked, add the spinach on top.
  6. Roll. And cut into bite sized pieces.
  7. Serve with grated radish and soy sauce.
 




I also tried rolling some eggs without spinach in it. I love raw vegetables and so I put the rolled cooked eggs on top of fresh spinach leaves. For more flavor, I added vinegar, salt and pepper. Turned out great!









No comments:

Post a Comment