Saturday, January 21, 2017

#176 I made a fancy yet simple Lamb dish for dinner: Roast Leg of Lamb with Rosemary



I can't count the many times I skipped buying a leg of lamb simply because, I always thought it's just too fancy, and thought it's so complicated to cook..until one day a couple of weeks ago, I decided to finally make a fancy leg of lamb dinner. Thanks to the internet, I learned that I can simply roast it in the oven and, surprisingly it's really easy to make! With the aid of my meat thermometer, I made sure it wasn't under or over cooked and I used fresh rosemary herbs. Wow, the marriage of the lamb and rosemary flavors is marvelous! Lamb meat already has that really strong flavor and all you really need to add are a few items to make into a delicious and fancy meal. Here's how  I made it with only a few ingredients: 

LEG OF LAMB ROAST WITH ROSEMARY

Ingredients: 
4 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
5 approximate pounds of leg of lamb
Salt and pepper 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Slit lamb meat with knife, maybe 4 cuts across so you can rub the crushed garlic and insert in slits for the flavor to deeply penetrate the meat.
  3. Add salt and pepper.
  4. Place rosemary on top of the seasoned meat.
  5. Roast meat for about 1.5 to 2 hours, to your desired doneness. For medium rare, meat thermometer should read at least 135 degrees F. Do not overcook! Lamb tastes better when it is slightly pink on the inside.


Roasting meat has long been observed by the British since the 1400s, their  "Sunday Roast" consists of roast beef or other meat, vegetables, pudding and gravy, this tradition gives the families a chance to get together after a long week of hard work, and enjoy a hearty meal after church. This tradition of beef eating is still observed in the UK nowadays, I am not sure how many families do it religiously every Sunday. It is said that the original "beefeaters" were the members of the royal guard during the reign of King Henry the VII, his Yeomen Warders were served roast beef every Sunday after church and this practice gave birth to many beefeaters over the years. I am a modern day beefeater who eats meat like there is no tomorrow. Too much, really. I am trying to curb my beef and lamb consumption for health reasons, as eating in moderation is key to a healthy weight. This "Sunday Roast" is  great idea, infact, this is a good tradition for us to start, roasting meat every Sunday and eating more fish, chicken and vegetables for the rest of the week.  I guess we're having another delicious roast tomorrow night! :) Happy weekend, hope this one brings you another chance to spend quality time with your most favorite people in the world!
Hope you enjoyed this post! If you did, follow this blog as we will be posting 189 more recipes! 189 recipes to discover, learn to cook, take pictures and share to complete the goal of 365! 
Will I finish this task? Check back often to see my progress! xo Van


No comments:

Post a Comment