Monday, January 14, 2013

#37 black bean avocado salsa



Six years ago, it was a big surprise to me that an avocado fruit can taste great as an accompaniment to meat, and amazing when drizzled with lime, lemon and salt. I usually just eat it with sugar and milk back home. It was shocking to me how expensive it is when I first saw it in a nearby grocery store. $ 1.99 each for tiny ones! Back home, I usually just pick it up from the ground, literally. I don't remember buying an avocado fruit ever in my entire life before I moved to California. My mother has big organic avocado trees in her backyard and in the farm in the Philippines, and we handpicked the fruit once it falls to the ground or early in the morning, only if, we feel like eating it. An avocado fruit falls off the branch when it is ripe and ready and it does not break :) 




I love salsa. When freshly made, it tastes so much better. I used beans as a substitute to tomatoes based on a recipe from a Weight Watchers cookbook. Once I tasted it, I could not keep all the goodness to myself! I summoned my dear friend who is a salsa connoiseur to judge it. The judgment: "Excellent!"



BLACK BEAN AVOCADO SALSA


Ingredients:


2 cups coarsely chopped peeled avocado (about 2 small avocados)
1/3 cup red onion (about 2 medium onion)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and toss gently. 
  2. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 2 hours. 
  3. Serve with baked or light tortilla chips. 



Salsa originated in Mexico. The word salsa means sauce in Spanish. In English speaking countries, it usually refers to the tomato-based, hot dips in Mexican cuisine. There are many variations, including our nouveau salsa recipe.  I wonder where my grandmother learned how to make her version of salsa which she called "Sasa-an" :) She made it with tomatoes, green and red onions, small hot chili, vinegar and calamansi (Philippine lemon). Will dig further into this :) And will definitely make as many salsa variations as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment