Sunday, June 9, 2013

#137 Irish Potato and Parsley Soup


I discovered a green soup, that's also Irish, so perfect for St. Patrick's Day next year! :) I love this soup. I just happened to have so much Parsley and a quick search for "parsley soups" led me to the discovery of this delicious recipe, which I tweaked a little bit. What I love about it? It is very simple, it requires a blender after cooking to liquefy the potatoes, so the soup comes out really smooth and filling as well. Parsley is very inexpensive and has a unique delicious taste, it's nutritious and it comes in bunches when you buy it; since I love it's flavor, I used A LOT of fresh parsley for this traditional Irish soup. It is usually added with bacon, potatoes, milk, cream and chicken stock. I omitted the bacon, it still came out so tasty. What I learned about blending soups that just came out of the stove top? DO NOT fill the blender, or it will overflow, and hold the lid down very firmly! The heat of the soup creates a steam that will send the blender's lid to the ceiling and will paint it green! Best to cool it a little bit before blending, or add soup half a blender at a time.

Yield: Serves 4

IRISH POTATO and PARSLEY SOUP

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons Irish butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
3 potatoes, washed, peeled and chopped
2 cups chicken broth, OR 2 teaspoons chicken base + 2 cups water
2 cups of milk
3 cups of chopped fresh parsley
1 cup of chopped fresh celery
salt and pepper to taste
cream

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, heat butter and then add onions, and then garlic, don't let it brown.
  2. Add potatoes, cover to let it cook, don't let it burn.
  3. Add broth, parsley and celery, and then let it boil once then reduce heat. Add milk and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Then, add soup in a blender to liquefy. It is best  (based on my experience!) to do it half a blender at a time.
  5. Return the blended soup in the pot, simmer for another 5 minutes.
  6. Salt and pepper to taste, serve with cream on top.












Delicious Irish Potato and Parsley Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment