Wednesday, June 19, 2013

#145 Horiatiki Salata (Greek Salad)


With no lettuce nor other leafy greens and using only fresh plump tomatoes and other equally fresh, crunchy vegetables, kalamata olives, a simple vinaigrette, and sprinkled with feta cheese before serving,  this recipe makes a simply delicious Horiatiki Salata or Greek salad. Horiatiki means village-style. This is how I ate salad back home in the Philippines since we did not have an abundance of lettuce, but without the olive oil and cheese. After I tried this for the first time, I fell in love with it and now  Greek Salad is a must have at least once a week for me. It's one of my favorites.  I did not remove the cucumber seeds as per instructions, because for some odd reason, I cannot eat cucumbers without the middle part, it ruins the taste for me. I also added radish because I like it very much, adding radish to Greek salad was introduced to me by a former co-worker of mine, who always shared her Greek Salad with everybody every single day, and it was always delicious. Simple, flavorful and filling..top with feta cheese, it's heaven!
Yield: Serves 6
HORIATIKI SALATA (GREEK SALAD)

Ingredients:
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 red bell pepper, large-diced
1 yellow bell pepper, large-diced
1 bunch of radish, peeled and halved,  or cut smaller if you like
1 pint fresh cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, sliced in half-rounds
1/2 pound feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted

For the vinaigrette:

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil

Directions:
  1. Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
  2. For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. 
  3. Add the feta and olives and toss lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten's Greek Salad here


I omitted the onions, but I highly recommend not to, because onions add a great flavor to it. 
It's your personal call. It's yummy either way. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment