Sunday, January 24, 2016

#169 Stobhach Gaelach: Irish Stew


Some purists suggest that the authentic Irish stew or Stobhach Gaelach  should only have the following ingredients: neck mutton or kid, onions, potatoes and water. Recognized as early as the 1800's, there are many variations that are suggested nowadays. I chose to add carrots. I did not find mutton or goat in the grocery stores, and so I chose lamb--shoulder blade. I also used leeks and added fresh rosemary based on the recipe I adapted it from . I was worried that it won't turn out ok, but it did! 





STOBHACH GAELACH

Ingredients: 
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 lbs lamb shoulder blade
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, sliced
4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
4 cups of water
5 large potatoes
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1 cup thinly sliced leeks
parsley for garnishing

Directions:
  1. Brown Lamb by batches, remove from pan once browned, set aside. (see pics below)
  2. In the same pan, add onions and cook until translucent.
  3. Add the browned lamb, salt, pepper and water. Cover and bring to boil.
  4. Lower heat, and simmer meat for 1.5 hours or until tender.
  5. Stir in potatoes and carrots, add water if needed, simmer for another 20 minutes.
  6. Stir in leeks and rosemary, continue to simmer until potatoes are tender.
  7. Serve hot and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
  8. Enjoy!




Ahh, this was so good! I'm so happy that I learned how to cook this dish. I have always used beef for my stews, I rarely bought lamb because I really was not sure how to cook it. Back home in the Philippines, we did not have abundant supply of lamb meat, in fact I have never even tried it until I moved to California. This dish makes preparing lamb easy. It is also very delicious, and the meat was very  very soft!


The starch from the potatoes thickened the sauce, and so there is really no need to add wheat flour to this recipe. Season it according to your taste, I'm sure you will love how this dish will warm up your belly in this cold winter season...



If you enjoyed this post, follow this blog as we will be posting 196 more recipes this year! 196 recipes to discover, learn to cook, take pictures and post here to complete the goal of 365!  
Will I finish this big task? Check back often to see my progress! xo Van



No comments:

Post a Comment