Wednesday, December 12, 2012

#17 Melt in your mouth pancakes (without egg whites)



Sundays are great for our little family. I heard my daughter say more than once: "I wish there are only two days in a week: fridays and sundays" :) Friday is a fun day, a day when no homework is sent home. And Sunday, is the day when we are allowed to be lazy. Check out early bird movies, make desserts, play outside and, her favorite, start our day by eating a big breakfast without rushing. Instead of driving to a nearby breakfast place, we started cooking breakfast at home every sunday since last year. I thought I should share this delicious pancake recipe that we've always used. We omitted the egg whites since we are highly allergic.


MELT IN YOUR MOUTH AMERICAN PANCAKES
(without egg whites)

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
cooking spray


Directions:


  1. Combine flour with white vinegar and milk, mix it well, then add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk until all lumps are gone.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. 
  3. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
  4. Serve with maple syrup and top with your favorite fruits.


We learned that the Ancient Greeks made pancakes called tēganitēs around the 5th century BC. It's amazing how pancakes come in many different forms and variations. Here in North America, in Canada and Mexico, it is prepared with a raising agent such as baking powder, eggs, butter. We are truly happy with this recipe but we will try different recipes from all over the world soon.

3 comments:

  1. Just tried these today. I googled no egg white pancake and came across this recipe. My 8 month old loved it. I like them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that! Glad you found this blog, thanks for reading and happy cooking! <3

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! Now I can eat pancakes with my kids without my stomach suffering for it, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete