Thursday, December 20, 2012

#22 Basic French Crepe Recipe








FRENCH CREPE


Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and the water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter and then beat until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled non-stick griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour the batter into the griddle or pan, using approximately 1/4 cup of batter for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion  so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
  3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.
Serve rolled up or folded, with your favorite fruit/s, melted chocolate, or maple syrup. And top with ice cream if you like.







I had the best crepe when I visited my friend Noreen's house a few months ago. I remember that warm afternoon so well(smiles). Noreen and her husband Lubo, as always, poured me a glass of chilled sweet wine as soon as I arrived. They have the best wine collection. They will automatically take out wine glasses and offer you what they have within seconds of you entering their dining area. As Lubo packed me a huge bunch of freshly harvested mint from their garden, he asked: "Would you like something to eat? I have crepe, have you had crepe?". I think he was expecting me to say, "why, yes of course, many times". But instead, I answered, "Yes, thanks. I'd  like a crepe, I had it once in what.. I guess year 2000? This will be the second time". Noreen was surprised and said,"Really? Oh I always eat it for breakfast. You should try it today". I love the Avgarskis. :) Soon I was enjoying a hot and delicious crepe.

The wonderful taste in my mouth that day inspired me to make my own crepe this week. After the second time of trying it in my entire life! You must be wondering how is this possible, crepe is so common. Well, when there is a family member who is highly allergic to eggs, crepe, which requires 3 eggs per 1 cup of flour,  is difficult to include in the weekly menu. And, I just did not care much for it. I am a serious rice eater, I do not care for bread nor cakes too much. Just rice, vegetables and meat dishes, 3 times a day, all-year-round for more than three decades. Thankfully my diet is slowly changing since I started this blog, it definitely curbed my insane rice consumption and there's a lot more willingness in me to work with flour. I thought Crepe is the hardest thing to make! It is definitely not, I enjoyed making it and so will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment