Thursday, December 6, 2012

#13 Mini Me's Whole Wheat Roti

Hello everyone. It's been a while! The Thanksgiving holiday was too just busy for us! A lot of good things and changes happened. We had a great holiday indeed. After the holidays,  December 1st, I got so sick that for 5 days I was in so much pain and so weak to do anything but lay down and rest. But I am back and cooking again!
During the holidays, we did cook :) I will be posting 2 dishes tonight. I am starting with the Whole Wheat Roti that we had to have with our lentil soup that I previously posted. This is one of my favorites since my 7 year old did most of the work! Oh how hard did she work on every roll! :)




WHOLE WHEAT ROTI 


INGREDIENTS:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup water


DIRECTIONS:

Sift the flour and then mix it with salt in a bowl. Add in the olive oil and water.





Knead until firm and elastic. Take a handful and form into a ball.





Then using a rolling pin, roll as flat and thin as possible.



Cook the roti on both sides on a non-stick pan over medium high heat.




I must have tried it once when my friend from India briefly lived with us.  But  I honestly do not remember what it tasted like. And because of this, I thought it was pretty good! I ate a lot to show her how I loved her flat bread! 

I learned that Roti, which originated in the Indian subcontinent has many variations. Since this is a thinner roti, then it is called Chapati.  It is also widely consumed in South Asia and some parts of the Carribean. We enjoyed it with the Lentil Soup. My mother, who was visiting for the holidays, tried it for the first time and she liked it too. It was a nice morning activity for us since she had no school for the entire week :)




No comments:

Post a Comment