Sunday, October 4, 2015

#158 Chicken Paprikash

Before moving to the US, I never used Paprika in my cooking. And I remember the first time I bought a bottle of the spice, it was for the Goulash that I made almost two years ago. Now, thanks to this blog, I learned that there a few varieties, and that the Hungarian Paprika has the strongest flavor of them all, and so I bought a bottle last weekend. This recipe is bursting with flavors! If you have kids or anyone joining for dinner who cannot stand the heat, then I recommend decreasing the amount of this fragrant red spice and the red pepper flakes. If you don't and you like intense heat, then by all means, dump as much Paprika as you can take, personally, I can never really have too much of it! :)
I also omitted the flour from this recipe, but if you need to thicken the sauce, then you can add about 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. It was still definitely delicious without it. :) I also list organic ingredients, but this is optional, it simply means I used the organic variety for that ingredient. I also created Spaetzle from scratch, it's a pasta that is highly recommended as a side dish, since I have eliminated all grains from my diet, my daughter gladly taste tested it and loved it. 
CHICKEN PAPRIKASH
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsps olive oil
  •  2 large organic onion, chopped
  •  3 cloves of organic garlic, minced
  •  1 cup water
  •  1 whole organic chicken, cut into pieces
  •  1 tsp. crushed
  •  red pepper flakes
  •  4 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
  •  1 8 oz. organic canned diced tomatoes  
  •  1 8 oz. organic sour cream
  •  2 tbsps. flour (optional, you can do without)
  •  salt and pepper to taste 

Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil, add onion, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and paprika. Stir together until onion is translucent. Add chicken and the water. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, reserving liquid. Stir liquid into a medium bowl with sour cream; mix until well blended, then slowly add mixture to chicken, stirring constantly. Cook until well blended. If adding the flour, stir it with the sour cream and diced tomatoes liquid and cook until the sauce is thickened.  Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy it! 


Here are my pre-shopped ingredients  for you, just click on each image and it will take you to Amazon.com :


No comments:

Post a Comment