Monday, April 22, 2013

#70 Delicious Chocolate Brownie

Last weekend we made brownies. We searched for recipes online and easily found a great one! No wonder it has 4.5 stars out of 5,004 reviews. It is light, not overly sweet, and it is fudgy in the middle. I omitted the frosting from the original recipe because, I thought the brownie itself was sweet enough for our taste when I tried it, just as I was about to frost it. It was really easy to make too. I made brownies before, but using a ready-mix store bought one. It is sometimes sold at a great deal - for a dollar each! While the finished product was good from the box we chose at one time, we had more fun making this dessert from scratch,  measuring and learning how much of each ingredient is needed to make a fantastic brownie.



CHOCOLATE BROWNIE


Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder 


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
  2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not over cook.
Recipe adapted from Angie, contributor at allrecipes.com



Chocolate Brownie is an all-American square dessert which originated in Chicago, Illinois at the end of  19th century. A chef at the Palmer House Hotel created it for a socialite named Beth Palmer, upon her request for a dessert that is smaller than a cake, retaining cake-like characteristics and should be easy to eat from lunch boxes. The brownie was created with apricot and walnut glaze, and still being made at the  hotel using the original recipe. Who first created it is unknown, although there are three myths mentioned in history. Many thanks to the creative hands of the one who invented it, this delicious dessert made our day.  Read more from our online source here

I would also like to share very good news. As I have mentioned in one of my previous posts, we have serious food allergies in the family, my daughter was tested and found to be highly allergic to egg whites, seafoods and all nuts. But now one of our allergies must be disappearing! I tried making pancakes first using whole eggs a few months ago, and my little one did not have an allergic reaction. I did this because I read this article about a strategy called oral immunotherapy a while ago which, according to research can help cure or lessen a child's allergic reaction to eggs. I made her "special" foods and slowly fed her whole eggs in small doses, and only when added to pastries. And no reaction so far! It is such a relief to see her body reacting normally to a food which was once toxic to her. I am still scared to even try to feed her straight eggs, seafoods and all nuts-the last two are the most dangerous for her. I feel bad for her not being able to eat those foods, I hope it disappears over time. But now, I am very happy that finally, she can eat cakes with both the egg white and yolk now. :)


Looks and tastes delicious. :)  And it is true, good food and joy come to those who cook! It added more sweetness to our home, literally because the ants paraded in the kitchen the next morning, and figuratively speaking, because cooking is such a sweet activity to do together. If you like this recipe, or have a better recipe to share, leave a comment below, I would love to read it!





No comments:

Post a Comment