Saturday, April 27, 2013

#81 Delicious egg-less cake: Chocolate Butterscotch Pudding Cake






If you like chocolate pudding, ice cream and chocolate brownies,  you will love this. You'll have a taste of all three in one bite. And no eggs required! Since it's not a usual cake, I followed the recipe to the letter. I was excited! Right before baking it, I had a feeling there was something wrong with the mixture..too watery. I checked the cup that I used to measure the hot water and OMG, it was a 1/4 cup. I thought I grabbed the 1/2 cup! What was I thinking! Why didn't I use the 1 cup that was used for the flour and instead grabbed a smaller measuring cup, and then I poured 1 1/2 cups of hot water instead of  the required 1 1/4 cups! Ugh!! For a minute I thought I should just start all over again, but instead of throwing it, I used the mixture anyway as an experiment, I was curious to see what a cake disaster looks like. So I put it in the oven,  after 35 minutes, it was boiling..LOL. After an hour in the oven, it looked like it's finally set, and because I was using a glass baking dish, I could see the pudding under the layer of cake. I'm glad I didn't throw the mixture away. A new butterscotch pudding cake recipe with so much moist is discovered.  What a pleasant surprise! :)


CHOCOLATE  BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING CAKE


Ingredients:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup butterscotch morsels

Topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups of hot water


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
  2. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a baking pan or glass dish. (I used a round glass baking dish). Mix well.
  3. Combine in remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Sprinkle on top of the cake mixture.
  4. Pour hot water on top. DO NOT STIR OR MIX. Bake for 1 hour.
  5. After baking, let stand for 25 minutes. Serve with your favorite ice cream.


 butterscotch morsels 







Crunchy chocolate brownie on the topmost layer, a soft cake in the middle and then a rich pudding at the bottom. 
Top with a slow-churned vanilla ice cream. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment