Friday, April 19, 2013

#61 Japanese Cucumber Salad



This is a very simple dish. If you love the freshness of cucumbers, this is a great recipe that you should try. It is not complicated to make at all and tastes great. I toasted sesame seeds for the first time, it smelled so good!









JAPANESE CUCUMBER SALAD


Ingredients:

2 medium cucumbers, or 1 large English cucumber
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted


Directions:
  1. Peel cucumbers to leave alternating green stripes. Slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise; scrape the seeds out with a spoon. Using a food processor or sharp knife, cut into very thin slices. Place in a double layer of paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess moisture.
  2. Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a medium bowl, stirring to dissolve. Add the cucumbers and sesame seeds; toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
Notes:
    To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
    Recipe adapted from www.eatingwell.com




    I love how the Japanese put importance in frugality, and at the same time on the quality of their foods. They value ease on the preparation, nutritional value and beautiful presentation.  They have one of the healthiest diets in the planet. That's why I crave for their food all the time. It's amazing. Growing up in Asia where healthy food is inexpensive, I feel lucky and  I appreciate how my mother's proper parenting taught us the importance of  a healthy all-natural diet.  I consumed only organic meats and produce growing up in the Philippines, all from our backyard and from nearby farmers. Here in the US, you pay more to eat natural foods. :-( To solve this problem, I seek ways to live a healthy and economical lifestyle. Just like how the Japanese do.  Cooking and eating at home frequently is one way. And I think growing your own food without chemicals is another way to achieve that lifestyle.  Included in my bucket list is to have my own nice-sized backyard and utilize it down to the last square footage. It will be beautiful with flowers but will also grow all my favorite herbs and veggies, chickens and maybe a little fish pond too for our consumption. I want just like the one we had during my childhood. And then I can create more Japanese dishes with the best ingredients straight from my own backyard. :) Soon.








    No comments:

    Post a Comment