Friday, April 26, 2013

#80 Honey Poppy Mustard Salad Dressing and Greens


It is very important to eat our raw leafy greens daily. I still have to remind myself of that. I like to eat salads when I use my favorite dressing, Honey Poppy Mustard Salad Dressing.  It is very inexpensive and super easy to make, I used greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, which made the dressing a lot healthier. Last week, I was happy to find my two favorite greens, spinach and arugula at buy one and get one free- it's always great to find quality food at a bargain price. :)  This dressing goes well with any vegetables that I add in my salad plate. Versatile, simple, tastes great. Try it!


HONEY POPPY MUSTARD SALAD DRESSING


Ingredients:

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds

Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.


 
Poppy seeds are highly nutritious and used in many cuisines all over the world. Turkey is the highest producer. It is consumed widely in Europe, India and the Mediterranean. In India and Iran, it is called khaskhas or haşhaş. According to history, it is native to the Middle East, in Ancient Sumeria, a region in Southern Mesopotamia, modern Iraq. It was also cultivated by the Minoan civilization in the island of Crete during the Bronze age (around 2700 to 1400 BC). It is said to be used as a remedy to sleeping problems,  promote fertility and wealth and supposed to give magical powers of invisibility. :) These seeds are also potential source for anti-cancer drugs. According to the book: Joy of Cooking, the best ones come from Holland.







 



Health is wealth. It's important to take care of it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment