Wednesday, May 15, 2013

#105 Tangy Chicken Soup





This soup is so delicious.. We love it! I love tangy food, especially soups,  so this dish is perfect anytime for me. I put butter in my clear soup for the first time, and it tastes great.   I planned to serve this dish to a group of friends for lunch, but because we did not have enough time to cook the chicken (they had to leave within 30 minutes for a tee time that was scheduled too soon!),  we opted for vegetable soup instead. Too bad, they would have loved this! Next time!

TANGY CHICKEN SOUP
Yield: Serves 6

Ingredients:

2 quarts of water
2 quarts of chicken broth
2 bone-in chicken breast
1/3 cup butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoon lemon rind
crackers for garnishing, such as oyster or saltine
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

  1. In a large soup pot, melt the butter, then add the garlic and stir until brown. Add onions and cook until soft.  Add the 2 quarts of water and the chicken breasts, boil and then simmer until the skin starts to fall off from the bone. Be sure to skim off foam while it cooks.
  2. Remove the chicken from the pot, and pick the meat off the bones. Then add the broth in the pot. 
  3. Then put the chicken meat back, add the celery, carrots, lemon rind and lemon juice. Cook until the vegetables are done. ( I like undercooked vegetables so I turned the heat off once my vegetables start to cook, then I cover the pot, the heat in the covered pot cooks my veggies perfectly).
  4. Serve warm, garnish with a slice of lemon and crackers.
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment