Wednesday, May 15, 2013

#107 Gurkensalat mit Dill




Gurkensalat mit Dill, is a German dish that caught my attention because it has cucumbers, and it looks so beautiful. It translates to Cucumber and Dill Salad. I had so much fresh dill in the fridge, I learned how to use and started falling for  this fragrant herb shortly after I started this blog, so I always have it since then. Every time I eat it, it just hits me deep and  my taste buds only send the signal: "SO GOOD" to my brain. It took me 3 decades and more to discover the magic of fresh dill and other herbs. What took me so long?!, right? :) Now, I honestly prefer using fresh herbs over dried ones. Speaking of freshness, of all vegetables, cucumbers are the most refreshing. I love, love it! I've never tried cutting them paper thin before, and I do not own any special gadget to help me, so I had to use my own sharp knife to cut it as thin as possible. I loved the flavor, I used a fat-free sour cream, and dijon mustard; it's a great new healthy salad discovery for us! See,  I am slowly disproving the misconception that Germans only eat sausages, sauerkraut and drink only beer. Very wrong. They eat GOOD FOOD, and I personally love their dishes. This is one of the salads that they enjoy and now I do too, very much.

Yield: Serves 4

GURKENSALAT MIT DILL


Ingredients:

1/2 cup fat free sour cream
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt
white pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cucumbers, chilled, peeled and sliced very thinly (using a food processor, mandoline or knife)
1 small onion, sliced (optional)
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill


Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine first 7 ingredients. Mix well.
  2. Add the cucumbers and onion. Toss to coat lightly.
  3. Sprinkle with fresh dill. Serve immediately.



Smile, pretty salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment