Tuesday, May 21, 2013

#114 Switzerland's Rösti



Rösti, is a dish native to the German speaking side of Switzerland. READ MORE HERE. It mainly consists of potatoes which are boiled, coarsely grated and then cooked in a pan. I liked this very much. The butter and white pepper made the potatoes taste so delicious.  Thanks to my 7-year old food stylist, we made a heart-shaped sunny side up eggs which are added on top with fresh parsley, both added a wonderful blend of flavors. Our Rösti is shaped into a patty, and looked like potato pancake. Quick tip: I learned that the potatoes must not be prepared in advance nor rinsed after boiling, because it will reduce the starch. After boiling, cool it, then peel and grate. This great dish can be added with anything you like for breakfast, and is also eaten as an accompaniment to meats. It is so tasty, I can eat it by itself again and agan. :)

Rösti

Ingredients:

russet potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated coarsely
butter
salt
white pepper
fresh parsley, for garnishing
eggs, sunny side up

Directions:
  1. Boil, cool, peel, coarsely grate, and then season the russet potatoes with salt and white pepper.
  2. In a hot pan, heat butter, then add the grated cooked potatoes, gently flattening it to form a round patty.
  3. Turn to cook the other side, serve immediately with sunny side up eggs and parsley on top.

Additional notes: 
If you are squeamish about runny eggs like me, I learned how to cook "well-done" sunny side up without burning the egg whites. I heat the pan with a little oil, and once I add the eggs, I lower the heat to it's lowest setting and then cover the pan. The result is a perfectly cooked egg whites and hardened yolks.



Delicious! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment