Wednesday, May 22, 2013

#120 Fried Chicken


A couple of weekends ago, we were invited to have dinner at the McKays and what a  delicious fried chicken they served us! We asked them how they made it so crispy and delicious, and John happily told us their secret. He said, he marinated the chicken in buttermilk overnight, then season with garlic salt and pepper.. then I imagined the rest.. coat with flour, then egg, then drench in bread crumbs before frying using vegetable oil in medium heat. So this week, I made fried chicken, it's been a while since I made it.  I also made my bread crumbs using left over breads that we baked and then we processed it using a ninja blender (yes Ninja is the brand name), you can also use a grater to make it. Since I did not have buttermilk, I learned that you can make your own by adding a tablespoon of lemon per cup of milk. So that's what I used to marinate the chicken overnight. The result was great! What I learned: never cook it in high heat to hasten the cooking process, patience is the key to a crispy, well seasoned and golden fried chicken.

FRIED CHICKEN

Ingredients:

chicken thighs and legs
buttermilk
flour for drenching
2 eggs, mixed 
breadcrumbs to coat
garlic salt 
pepper

Directions:
  1. Marinate chicken in buttermilk with garlic salt overnight
  2. Combine flour and pepper, drench chicken until covered.
  3. Dip the chicken in egg, then drench with breadcrumbs.
  4. Repeat process with all remaining chicken.
  5. Deep fry in vegetable oil.



 

bread + blender/food Processor = DIY  breadcrumbs


Fried chicken is thought to have originated in Europe.
 Read more on the history of Fried Chicken HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment