Sunday, May 19, 2013

#113 Spain's Pan de Leche









After I made bagels, there was no stopping my experiment with yeast. I have to admit, there were  3 packets of yeast that were dissolved in water and then poured down the drain because of my lack of know-how. The first packet was poured in the water that was too hot from the microwave oven, then the other 2  were discared also because I thought I did something wrong when I poured yeast in milk- it didn't foam. But I didn't give up. The next day, I bought another packets, and was more determined to make my favorite Filipino Pan de Leche. After proofing..which didn't foam much..I started mixing in a large bowl, and  kneaded it until smooth.Then I let it rise, it didn't double it's size..I know I did everything correctly, so I followed my gut and baked it anyway. I watched the bread with so much excitement, it's been at  least  18 months since I had it. After I took it out of the oven, I noticed the cracks, and I thought, well, maybe it is because I am baking at 5,800 ft above sea level, whereas the Philippines is at sea level. I tasted it, and it was very good and very sweet..but  was definitely not what I was looking for, it reminds me of a filipino bread  called Pantso.  Further investigation led me here, where the same recipe I used was adapted from. It states that it is a Spanish Sweet Milk Bread, not Filipino. I was relieved to see the similar cracks on the bread crust in their picture! Whew! In Spain, it is eaten for breakfast or "merienda" (afternoon snack). In the Philippines, we eat it mostly for merienda, but our Pan de Leche is very soft and fluffy, and it does not have cracks :) . I will be searching for the recipe and will share once I have successfully made it. This recipe is great, and I am happy to have discovered and made this bread. It's lovely!

Yield: 8 medium rolls

SPAIN'S PAN DE LECHE


Ingredients:

3 oz (100 ml) lukewarm milk
1 envelope (1/4 oz) dry yeast
1 egg
1/2 cube (50 gr) softened butter
1/3 cup (70 gr) granulated sugar
1 ½ cups (200 gr) unbleached white flour
2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Warm milk and pour into a glass measuring cup. Mix in the dried yeast until completely dissolved. Cover with a small kitchen towel and set in a warm place, away from drafts for 10 minutes.
  2. Cream butter and sugar in a medium size mixing bowl. Beat egg into the butter-sugar mixture. Add yeast-milk mixture and mix thoroughly.
  3. Add flour to mixing bowl, a 1/2 cup at a time. Mix in flour with a wooden spoon until dough forms a ball. If necessary, add additional flour 1 Tbsp at a time until soft dough is formed.
  4. Dust dough with 1 Tbsp flour. Cover bowl with a wet kitchen towel and place in a warm spot, away from drafts. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
  5. After rising, dough will be soft, spongy and sticky. Coat hands with oil. Uncover and knead dough 5-6 times. Separate dough into 4 pieces. Form into balls or rectangles and place on cookie sheet or baking stone. Allow to rise for 15 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 400F . Bake bread for 7 minutes. Remove and brush bread with vegetable oil. Return to oven and continue to bake for 7-10 minutes. Remove when bread begins to brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with butter or jam.







My second bread made from scratch, we love it!




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mario! Yes, I totally agree about Yeast, I am still learning a lot about it..very fun to see the results! Thank you! Your comment inspires me to do more. :) I love reading http://mangiawithmario.blogspot.com/, keep up the great work too! Hugs back!

      Delete
    2. What an interesting recipe! And it certainly looks delicious!
      Bread making takes a lot of patience, as I too can attest to that.
      You know, I discovered that I had to let the dough rise in a slight heated oven because the weather here is so cold!
      So try warming up the oven first, about 400F for a minute. Then turn it off and place the dough in the oven to rise.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, Joyce, I chose an interesting recipe for my first bread! Haha. I found and made an easier one after this bread and was more confident with the results. And you are so right, patience is the key when working with yeast. Thank you for the suggestion! Since heating the home just for the bread making was not an option for us because our furnace eats up so much of propane gas (and house poorly insulated), I used a small electric heater to heat the bedroom for the duration of the proofing! Now, I have a clever way to do it! THANKS A LOT AGAIN!!!

      Delete